Inspection Stations

You can talk about anything here
Danb33
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: LJ Wrangler

Re: Inspection Stations

Unread post by Danb33 »

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:Here ya go. Height adjustable air shock suspension system. The 4" springs have 9" of travel, automatically adjustable, set everything up at ride height, and flip switches to get your offroad height.

http://offroadonly.com/airock/

Good luck getting this all to work and be a good offroad solution. Also, you'd best have deep pockets.
I used to wheel with a guy who had that set up. He said the hardest part was the track bar. Sweet set up but it was almost cheating by watching him raise and lower on off camber obstacles.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by BlackKnight »

MDSRACING398 wrote:Funny part to that story is should of failed because of spacers!
Actually, spacers are not illegal...it's all about how much of the tire sticks out beyond the fender flair. At least I could find nothing specifically about them other than they cannot be used in the calculation of the track width while making the lift height maximum calculation.
Last edited by BlackKnight on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ImNotCassie
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

CUT AND PASTED FROM http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/ ... 40cmr6.pdf

540 CMR: REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES
6.04: General Requirements
(1)
No motor vehicle shall be altered or modified in any way that may cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the tires to come in contact with the body, chassis, or steering components under normal operation. The horizontal plane, front to rear, shall not differ more than two inches.
(2)
Alterations or modifications to the original braking, steering, or suspension system, which result in the impairment of the safe operation of the motor vehicle, are prohibited. All replacement parts and equipment used shall be designed and capable to perform the function or purpose for which it is intended and shall be equal or greater in strength and durability than the original parts provided by the original manufacturer.
(3)
The wheel track may be increased by the use of tires and rims for a maximum total increase of four inches beyond the original manufacturer's specification. The use of spacers to increase wheel track is prohibited. Fractions shall be excluded in all measurements and final calculations.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
ImNotCassie

Sunday one of the jeeps lost a wheel due to spacers. :shhh: No names mentioned!!
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

ImNotCassie wrote:CUT AND PASTED FROM http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/ ... 40cmr6.pdf

The wheel track may be increased by the use of tires and rims for a maximum total increase of four inches beyond the original manufacturer's specification. The use of spacers to increase wheel track is prohibited. Fractions shall be excluded in all measurements and final calculations.
I saw them "prohibited under" the lift calculation, but never there. And I'm not positive, but Prohibited != illegal in all things. If fully Illegal, a law would specifically say that All wheel spacers are illegal.

For the person that lost a tire, I can only assume a couple things were probably at work, They either hadn't used thread locker on the threads, hadn't torqued the lugs on the spacer and wheel properly, and or hadn't checked and rechecked their wheels in a while.
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
Yipjeep

Unread post by Yipjeep »

BlackKnight wrote:
ImNotCassie wrote:CUT AND PASTED FROM http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/ ... 40cmr6.pdf

I saw them "prohibited under" the lift calculation, but never there. And I'm not positive, but Prohibited != illegal in all things. If fully Illegal, a law would specifically say that All wheel spacers are illegal.

For the person that lost a tire, I can only assume a couple things were probably at work, They either hadn't used thread locker on the threads, hadn't torqued the lugs on the spacer and wheel properly, and or hadn't checked and rechecked their wheels in a while.
I am not reading this as stating wheel spacers are illegal, just that wheel spacers will not be used to increase the wheel track calculation.
Don Moran
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Don Moran »

The jeep that lost a wheel was not the fault of spacers but improper installation.
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

shortbus wrote:The jeep that lost a wheel was not the fault of spacers but improper installation.
That's what I figured, Spacers have a bad rep, but it's never been found that they are the issue, typically it's an install mistake...

I actually need them on my Jeep as I'm using the Stock rims still, with wider then normal tires, and they were rubbing on the sway bar and other spots under the front.
--
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Any update on how these new inspection procedures are going? People having a tougher time getting stickers or was it all hype?
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Combo of both. It it doesn't look stupid high or dangerous most are getting bye that I talk too.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ImNotCassie

I went the other day. Passed with no changes, the hockey pucks on peddles never came off and my jack blocks the head lights. The only question was, how do you get in that?
Last edited by ImNotCassie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

So far I have 2 friends and a family member that have received stickers. Two lifted wranglers (TJ on 35s, JK on 35s) and a lifted XJ on 33s.
The TJ and the XJ had no problems but the JKs tires were outside the fenders. He was given the sticker but he had to beg and plead for it... I haven't heard of anyone being rejected yet. Has anyone?
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Richl35 wrote:So far I have 2 friends and a family member that have received stickers. Two lifted wranglers (TJ on 35s, JK on 35s) and a lifted XJ on 33s.
The TJ and the XJ had no problems but the JKs tires were outside the fenders. He was given the sticker but he had to beg and plead for it... I haven't heard of anyone being rejected yet. Has anyone?
How far his tires stick out? We talking sidewalls or 2” of tread?
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Don Moran
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by Don Moran »

ImNotCassie wrote:I went the other day. Passed with no changes,, the hockey pucks on peddles never came off and my jack blocks head lighys. The only question was, how do you get in that?
so how do you get in it rope ladder?
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

RandyCarol wrote:
Richl35 wrote:So far I have 2 friends and a family member that have received stickers. Two lifted wranglers (TJ on 35s, JK on 35s) and a lifted XJ on 33s.
How far his tires stick out? We talking sidewalls or 2” of tread?
Pretty far. I don't know if it was 2 inches but probably close. He runs Poison Spyder narrow fenders with a 4.5" offset wheel and 12.5" wide Nitto Ridge Grapplers.