Inspection Stations

You can talk about anything here
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Re: Inspection Stations

Unread post by Kurt »

I was just browsing the states RFP regarding the cameras.
https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/b ... activeBids
Two bay camera's in the inspection bay will be taking up to 8 still photo's during the inspection process.

"The 2 bay cameras assigned to capture still images during all inspection types (except motorcycle inspectons) shall capture, at most, the following images: 1 image from each camera during inspector login; 1 image from each camera at the beginning of the emissions test (OBD or opacity, if applicable); 1 image from each camera at the beginning of the safety test; and 1 image from each camera at the end of the inspection prior to uploading the test record to the VID; for a total maximum of 8 images per inspection from the 2 bay cameras."

The other 3 camera's are video cameras that can live stream video one at a time. Video taken by them will also be archived for 3 years for future review.

"The 3 inspection bay cameras must meet the following minimum requirements : 1) the cameras shall capture color images and video; 2) the cameras shall have a minimum resolution of 1280 x 720; and 3) the cameras shall have a minimum frame rate of 5 frames per second."

Streaming video shall only be allowed during inspections and shall only be saved from the one bay camera selected to stream.

More info from the RFP...

2.2.7 Cameras
Each Workstation shall be equipped with a total of 5 cameras used to capture still images and video during an inspection. All images and video files shall be automatically assigned a unique identifier that is associated with the inspection.
2.2.7.1 PC Monitor Mounted Camera
Each Workstation shall be equipped with a color camera that mounts on the PC monitor to be used for the following functions:
• Capture still image of the inspector during login; and
• Video conferencing/live chat with the Help Desk.
The Bidder shall propose specifications for the PC monitor mounted camera.
2.2.7.2 Hand-held Camera
Each Workstation shall be equipped with a hand-held camera to be used for the following functions:
• Capture the image of vehicle VIN plate;
• Capture the image of Vehicle license plates, front and rear;
• Capture the image of odometer reading; and
• Capture up to 5 additional images at the inspector’s discretion to document safety failures, tampering, and other inspection conditions of interest.
The hand-held camera shall be water resistant and ruggedized for an automotive shop environment. The hand-held camera shall automatically charge and upload images from the inspection when the camera is connected to the Workstation. The connection from the camera to the Workstation for charging and transmitting of images shall be rugged and designed to withstand a duty cycle of frequent connections and disconnections. The Bidder shall propose specifications for the hand-held camera and describe how it will meet the above requirements.
2.2.7.3 Inspection Bay Cameras
As part of the Contract, the Contractor will be required to install 3 video cameras on the walls and/or ceiling of each inspection bay to capture video footage and images from several angles of the Vehicle during the Inspection. Each camera must be configurable in the MASS17 Management Application (see RFR Attachment D) to select whether the camera captures still images or video footage during the Inspection. Also, the Agencies must have the ability through the MASS17 Management Application to view and record live streaming video during any Inspection from any inspection bay camera.
The 3 inspection bay cameras must meet the following minimum requirements: 1) the cameras shall capture color images and video; 2) the cameras shall have a minimum resolution of 1280 x 720; and 3) the cameras shall have a minimum frame rate of 5 frames per second.
As part of the RFR Technical Response, the Bidder must propose specifications for the inspection bay cameras that address the requirements of this Section 2.2.7.3.

The following has a lot of inspection detail in it. It spells out all the functional requirements and inspection process. :shock:
Need to click on it once you navigate to the COMMBUYS link above.
Amended Attachment A - MASS17 VID-WS Functional Spec_3.8.16.docx
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
del_TJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 1998
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by del_TJ »

Holy cannoli! So who will pay for the new workstations with cameras? My understanding is that the current $35 inspection charge is based on a half hour of work. Is that likely to go up?
del_TJ

Unread post by del_TJ »

Looks like the inspection stations will foot the $5,710 equipment bill and the fee will remain $35.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1388 ... on-program

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals ... t91216.pdf
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Unread post by RandyCarol »

The customer will when they find all the “bad” ball joints and tie rod ends.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

RandyCarol wrote:The customer will when they find all the “bad” ball joints and tie rod ends.
For about 3 inspections in a row, my wife's Scion xB (2009) failed due to lighting. The charged her an extra $50 each inspection to replace light bulbs, funny that the rear license plate light was out twice. I pre-inspected the car the last time, took pics of all the lights, and when she went in and they made the same claim (this time one a side marker that was working 20 minutes prior to entering the bay, and I had pics) I told her to accept any fail sticker and not let them touch the car other than putting on the sticker. I told her to go out and stand at the bay door and watch to see if they go anywhere near where they show her the light being out. She had to stop them trying to open the hood twice, as they tried to replug the light.
When she got home, I took another set of pics, and a pic of the wire being pulled out printed them in a folder with the previous three years worth of inspections. I notified the Police, and the State inspection authority and they had their inspection station status revoked. I never got any monetary kick back, but at least I got the satisfaction of both removing the ability for them to overcharge/scam others for inspections, and then out of business, as apparently most of their income was inspections and the revenue of scamming that things needed to be fixed on the cars thus inspected.

I'm absolutely positive that many of the more unscrupulous shops still do this practice. Hopefully, the new camera system is more to catch scammers and the like (the inspect on just VIN as discussed earlier), and less to penalize people that make changes to their cars during the year, which in most of our cases actually better the factory build, in some cases MUCH better than factory.

More than anything nowadays, Find a good shop that you trust (hopefully that still does inspections after taking the new $5k stick in the butt) and give them your business, and tell friends...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President

Unread post by ASauer17 »

I just got mine done. Any station/place is $10k PER INSPECTION BAY that the owner had to pay. The inspector will be wearing a camera on their head and has to take photos and upload them to the software.

My step-aunt owns 495 trucking and that's who inspected my jeep today.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
MattJ
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by MattJ »

Spotted in Boston yesterday. This Jeep is READY for an inspection photo shoot:

___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
MayhemJL
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by MayhemJL »

MattJ- I've seen a few that stick out past their flares...and then I wonder when they're up for inspection. :lol:

With all the reported issues out there, be sure to find a properly working shop before your inspection!! The registry's site has a link to a site about the new inspection stations. Last I saw, the 54 page .pdf lists working shop locations...in case anyone has been having a tough time finding one:

http://www.mavehiclecheck.com
CV10077
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: XJ Cherokee

Unread post by CV10077 »

In for more info. on how lifted guys are doing with their inspections although I'm sure a lot of people went in last month to get inspected.
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Track is measured center of tire to center of tire, right?
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

ImNotCassie wrote:Track is measured center of tire to center of tire, right?
Yes

From Mass 540 CMR
"Wheel Track: The shortest distance between the centers of the tire treads on the same axle. On vehicles having different axle widths, the measurement shall be made on the widest one."
BSJ Treasurer 2020
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

I passed the inspection yesterday, went to the dealer I bought it from. They stated that my spacers push the wheels out and they were considering not passing it, but I pointed out, the tread is covered, it's the tire bulge that pushes out past the flair on mine. and they told me that was why they passed it, I talked with him for a while and I brought up the lift law questions, and asked, how they measure lift height, and he basically pointed out that they just ask the owner, and do a rough measure "above stock". I told him about the calculation ((Track*WheelBase)/2200) and he asked where I saw that, pointed out that its the law for 4x4 vehicles that have been lifted. and then pointed out the laws for fender flairs, noting that I can run fenderless as long as I had mud flaps. said that they have a totally different set of "laws" they are given for inspections...

Makes me think a little harder about Coilovers that I can adjust from a 2" lift to a 6" lift...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Funny part to that story is should of failed because of spacers!
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Here ya go. Height adjustable air shock suspension system. The 4" springs have 9" of travel, automatically adjustable, set everything up at ride height, and flip switches to get your offroad height.

http://offroadonly.com/airock/

Good luck getting this all to work and be a good offroad solution. Also, you'd best have deep pockets.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
Kurt
BSJ Member

Unread post by Kurt »

MDSRACING398 wrote:Funny part to that story is should of failed because of spacers!
Exactly! :lol:
BSJ Treasurer 2020