Inspection Stations

You can talk about anything here
ZackMack
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2007
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Inspection Stations

Unread post by ZackMack »

Anyone have any input on what I will need to do in order to pass the state inspection? I'm new to the state, active duty Army and scored an ROTC instructor position out west near Springfield. But I'm staying on the south shore of MA now (Pembroke). My rig is a 2007 JKU Rubicon on a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift and 35s. The fenders certainlyndojt cover the tires, and there are no mud flaps. Exhaust will need replacing soon, but is still ok now.

Any suggestions on what I may need to worry about in order to pass inspection? Or can anyone PM me a few local spots that may be a better choice to bring it for an inspection?

Thanks, hope to see you all on the trails!
Marky
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: Inspection Stations

Unread post by Marky »

The thing they're cracking down on is the fenders covering the tires. They guy I go to doesn't break out a straight edge to measure, but if it's real noticeable he tells you to bring it back with smaller tires. This year I had to go home and swap the stock tires onto the Jeep to get it inspected. I pointed out to him that in MA you can exceed the fenders if it's 4WD or "modified for off road use." He said that's true, but you need a statement from the registry saying your vehicle is "modified for off road use." Sounds stupid to me, but he said there was a guy who actually had the documentation from the registry for his rig. I don't know if that's true, but I'm meaning to go to the registry and find out. In the meantime, the easiest thing to do is put on smaller tires, get it inspected and swap them back when you're done. BTW, spacers are illegal in MA, but I've never had anyone reject me for having them on.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016

Unread post by DaThug »

Interesting about the paperwork, I wonder if having the off road registration stickers would count as documentation. I'm getting mine inspected before putting on the larger tires. But I do not want to have to store my 32's and have to swap them every year that would be ridiculous.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I feel bad for you guys having to deal with all this . Dude , If your stationed in Spfld. 9 miles south is an invisible dotted line , it says welcome to Ct. No inspection other than emission . Come live the free live and pay stupid high gas and taxes with fat tires ! FjR68
Marky
BSJ Member

Unread post by Marky »

DaThug wrote:Interesting about the paperwork, I wonder if having the off road registration stickers would count as documentation. I'm getting mine inspected before putting on the larger tires. But I do not want to have to store my 32's and have to swap them every year that would be ridiculous.
No, I have the off road registration on both Jeeps and he did not accept that.
2014-19 Vice President
Other positions: DOE, At-Large
2013 JK Rubicon, 3" lift, 35" tires, lots of armor
DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member

Unread post by DaThug »

I was talking with Scott yesterday and he said they are hearing that the state is going to start cracking down this fall. I started looking at the registry and vehicle inspection info on the state site and have not yet stumbled onto anything where you can get any paperwork for off road customization. Might end up registering the jeep in CT instead if they become jerks.
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Here's what I've heard:

1) All certified inspectors must complete training for the new "enforcement program"
2) Each inspection site will have multiple cameras
3) Six photos will be taken of every vehicle and uploaded online to state authorities
4) When a law enforcement officer pulls someone over and types in the tag, the six photos will be displayed on the officer's screen
5) State authorities will conduct audits of the photos that are uploaded during inspections

And it all starts October 1 . . .
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

When a cop friend of mine did enforcement, he would do random checks on suspect vehicles. He said vanity plates made it easy to run the plates with just a quick glance. Something to think about if you are considering vanity plates and are borderline illegal
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Time for everyone in MA to invest in a truck, trailer and jeep buggies!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

Unread post by BlackKnight »

My only thought is all of the Bro-Trucks better get cracked down on as well...

If they are going to screw us, they better screw them worse...
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

There not screwing anyone. The laws aren't new been same for years.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

For those with tires that extend beyond fenders. may want to Look into these. According to the Mass General Laws, full fender coverage for tires that extend beyond the fender is not required as long as you have adequate mud flaps on the rear wheels...

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12541_100_07.htm
and for me (My EVO stuff :) )
https://www.offroadevolution.com/produc ... y-evo-mfg/

Per M.G.L Title XIV, Chapter 90, section 7
"Every motor vehicle or trailer, excepting passenger motor vehicles, operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with suitable guards which will effectively reduce the spray or splash to the rear of mud, water or slush caused by the rear wheels thereof. Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides. "

So we are no a full coverage state but require Mud Flaps...

Also reading further.
Per M.G.L Title XIV, Chapter 90, section 7P (The Lift Law)
"Section 7P. No person shall alter, modify or change the height of a motor vehicle with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of up to and including ten thousand pounds, by elevating or lowering the chassis or body by more than two inches above or below the original manufacturer's specified height by use of so-called ''shackle lift kits'' for leaf springs or by use of lift kits for coil springs, tires, or any other means or device.

The registrar shall establish rules and regulations for such changes in the height of motor vehicles beyond said two inches. No motor vehicle that has been so altered, modified or changed beyond the provisions of this section or the rules and regulations established by the registrar shall be operated on anyway. "

Now that said, there is the "calculation" that applies to 4x4 vehicles that is in a subsection of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations that states we can lift to the following calculation. (Track*Wheelbase)/2200 Which for example my JKU is (73.9*116)/2200 which = 3.896545454545455 or 3.9 inches. Note track width cannot be modified by spacers (else add 5" to my track and I'm 4.2" of lift allowed), it can be modified by wheel backspacing though.

Note, I cannot get access to the CMR as it requires a subscription of $110 to access online via the state. I may need to go to the Library at one point if I catch a lot of crap from the inspectors. Note I have an October inspection and will be going in next Monday. I'll let everyone know how it goes, Even though I'm on 31's and stock, I may catch poop for wheels outside fenders (not tread, just the bulge of the tire comes out, everything else is tucked under)
--
BlackKnight - Commando Green '13 JKU w/EVO (R Fascia w/D's, ProSeries Front, Skids, 4" Lift) Powerstop z36 kit, 38" Patagonia MTss, PoisonSpyder Diff Armor, SuperWinch w/factor55 Prolink, FOX 2.0 shocks. JKS Track Bars
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

MDSRACING398 wrote:There not screwing anyone. The laws aren't new been same for years.
But now they are taking pictures of the inspected vehicles, and I guarantee they are going to go around siting anyone that even looks a little wrong. and will see the "proof" on the inspection pics.

Was actually thinking I may go Coilovers so I could adjust them up and down for inspection, but that's gone also as on the road they will have the original shorter pics.
--
RandyCarol
BSJ Member

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I know the laws are still the same, but I think this new inspection procedure just brought unwanted attention to lifted jeeps and cops will be paying attention a little more at least for awhile. I’m only allowed 2.5” with my JK, I’ll have to put my old springs back in. I just got the Metalcloak Highline fenders that are 2” wider and will fit the 37’s with the lower lift. My jeep doesn’t look as big as some of the jacked up mall crawlers I see around town so I’m hoping the 37’s slip under the radar.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BlackKnight
BSJ Member

RandyCarol wrote: My jeep doesn’t look as big as some of the jacked up mall crawlers I see around town so I’m hoping the 37’s slip under the radar.
I'm still digging but could swear that tire size was not a factor in the lift, as the "lift" specifically stated mechanical lift. and this also is not supposed to include Body lifts either. But of course, I'm no Lawyer and the laws as written truly suck (to either read or obey)...
--