It's Been Awhile

You can talk about anything here
schwalby
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2003
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

It's Been Awhile

Unread post by schwalby »

As some of you have seen I got the old TJ up and running again but I have a few questions. Before I tried starting it I made sure the fluids were good and that there wasn't any rust that would cause an axle to come off while moving it. I did have to remove the airbox in order to check there were no mice living in it and one of the spark plug wires has been chewed on at the top of the boot so I have new wires, air filter and spark plugs on order. Nothing is in stock any more with this Jeep, although not much was even 10 years ago.

I am going to go through and grease everything and also inspect the frame and axle housings more closely before moving it much more around the house.

So question what else should I be looking at or checking before taking this on the road to be inspected? Should I change out the belt? It looks good but has been sitting for about 5 years. Coolant looks clean so should that be messed with at all? Oil still looks brand new since it was done before getting parked and diff fluid should be the same.

Our hope is to get the Jeep so it can be used to putz around town and give something for Jen to beat on a little harder on the trails then the JK.

Thanks
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Re: It's Been Awhile

Unread post by Frank »

Josh :) Glad to hear its working again. To start with - Id change the oil and filter due to condensation . If your changing the wires , you might want to pull the plugs and squirt a little oil into the cylinders and with the key just bump it over a couple times to make sure a ring isnt stuck and have it snap. The coolant should be fine if tested good to below zero as it wouldnt have frozen at any point. You might end up with PITA leaks just because it sat for so long. Opening the air box was smart. I would also change the diff fluids , and maybe the clutch master fluid . Checking the rest would be fine. Just my opinion Dude. Good luck . FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I agree on a little oil in the cylinders, and let it sit for a bit. MMO was always my fav for this (opinions vary on it but that is mine). Also, dont forget that the fuel is probably garbage and will most likely need some help.

One other place to check is the blower motor and interior air box for any tag along passengers that you dont want. May also need to clean up some ground ends as well pending how much rust/moisture got to them.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Since you already had it running, just scan it for codes and make sure it stays running cool.

Definitely check the tires for dry rot, having not been used in a while they probably need to be replaced before any serious road use. Tread depth means nothing when dealing with old dry rubber.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Check brake lines! Wouldn't hurt pull wheels and clean up rotors by hand so they don't glaze right over if rusted too.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

The ole MMO , Still the worlds favorite . FjR68
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

Awesome. Thank you for the tips. Brakes are definitely I will look into, wouldn't be fun losing them going down the road.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.