Skids Question

You can talk about anything here
DaThug
BOD and Trails Committee Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Skids Question

Unread post by DaThug »

I got some information from a local shop on skids and wanted to see what folks thought of these versions and I have a couple questions:

Control Arms - JKS Manufacturing makes a set of 1/4 inch thick weld-on skid plates.

Differentials - They suggested rough country, but I want the red ARBs.

Fuel - Westin automotive and is a full Skid plate but skeletonized for weight reduction. This means that while it covers the whole surface it has holes cut throughout it so it weighs less

Evap Cover - Westin Makes a 3/16 inch thick plate for $59.95. 3/16 inch thick will be fine on this skid plate since is smaller and most likely less used.

Engine - I had a bit of trouble finding an engine oil pan skid plate. The one that i did find is made by Rancho and would work find, but is painted red.

Are these good choices?
Is there anything on there I don't need right away or something I'm missing. The list above is at about $1000 without any labor.

How much will these lower my jeep? If I recall from 101 I have a 8" clearance.

Thanks,
Fcgeek
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Re: Skids Question

Unread post by Fcgeek »

I have rock hard everything with Poison spyder diff cover and Clayton cross member on my JKU And Clayton on my TJ. Skids are easy to install as well. Good place to save some money. I think the rock hard skids are really nice and I would by them again.
2004 TJ Rubicon (Hooptie) Kick A$$ Grill
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Look at undercover fab
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

I have OX diff covers.. And only skids that came stock.
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

I have the poison spider bombshell diff covers and they are thick and beefy. I did put some diff skids on that I got from Morris off road, they look the the ARB ones but were black not red, they did require some help to fit into the PS covers but that was on my TJ.

AS far as skids under the jeep go, I dont know the JK world as much and took a quick peek around and it seems that there are some out there but depends on what you want to spend really.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
schwalby
Jeep Year: 2003

Unread post by schwalby »

I have all Clayton stuff under my Jeep. Engine, transmission and gas tank skid. All went in very well and meet up extremely well. Everything is completely level with each other and noting is going to move. You do need their cross member tough.
Josh Schwalb
ArticRubi wrote:Remember: poor planning on my part constitutes an emergency on yours.