New Air Compressor

You can talk about anything here
JeepAddict
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

New Air Compressor

Unread post by JeepAddict »

I have started shopping for a new air compressor. I am leaning heavily towards the Viair 450P automatic. Has anyone had an experience with the 400 or 450 series?

Thanks
Chrome? Never heard of it.
RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Re: New Air Compressor

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

I have the 450P. It has a 100% duty cycle. For those not familiar with the term, it means you do not have to shut it down to cool off every so many minutes. Plus, it has an automatic shutoff which allows you to go from one tire to another without having to shut it off and turn it back on between tires.

After a few uses, I decided to convert it to an on-board air system by buying a Synergy mount bracket and permanently installing it in the engine bay.

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep- ... 24327.html

My next step was to install an on-dash on/off switch to I didn't have to open the hood to turn the compressor on and off, as well as a air source relocation kit for convenient hose hookup. I put it in the frame just behind the front bumper in a perfectly sized existing hole.

http://www.viaircorp.com/fittings/airrelocation/

There are a number of ways to accomplish the same effect. This one works well for me. Clean, simple and efficient.

Here's another recent thread about compressors:
http://baystatejeepers.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=5155
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

Thanks Ralph. Are you running air lockers and does this unit provide enough pressure to do so? I am in the process of reconfiguring my axles / gears. My plan is to ( only once) set up 4:88s and the air lockers all at once.

Awesome idea on the on board mount. I am definitely going to have to look into doing that as well.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I have a "Max-air" unit . Pump is rated for 5 cfm unloaded which at the time was the highest . I have it hooked to a 5 gal. tank and a cut off switch set at 130 psi . The pump will do 150. I thought it would be wise not to have the pump working to max all the time. With a tank for reserve , you have the capability of using air tools and you also get a 35" filled before it turns on. Its 7/8 yrs old and there might be something better on the market , just cant say it ever failed me yet. FjR68
Kurt
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1992
Jeep Model: YJ Wrangler

Unread post by Kurt »

If you plan on running ARB's the compressor will work out fine. You'll need to put a regulator in the system to keep the air pressure to the ARB's around 90 PSI.
"Build It, Run It, Break It, Improve It, Repeat!"
NEA Treasurer 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
BSJ Treasurer 2020
RalphTomaccio
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

JeepAddict wrote:Thanks Ralph. Are you running air lockers and does this unit provide enough pressure to do so? I am in the process of reconfiguring my axles / gears. My plan is to ( only once) set up 4:88s and the air lockers all at once.

Awesome idea on the on board mount. I am definitely going to have to look into doing that as well.
I'm not running air lockers, but I do believe the pump would work fine in conjunction with a tank.
JeepAddict
BSJ Member

I appreciate the input guys. I'll be pulling the trigger tonight on the Viair one.