New "Wait List" Member in Westford

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Mule9
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

New "Wait List" Member in Westford

Unread post by Mule9 »

Hi All,

I'm really happy to be here ! I've been a Jeep Guy for many years now .. about 15 years. My first Jeep was my father's 95 YJ with the 4 banger. After acquiring it from my father, it quickly became unrecognizable. I gave it a four inch lift, 33" tires and all. Over the years as the family grew, I had to let it go for a "more reliable" or practical car as my wife would say. About two years ago, I bought my second jeep; a 2012 JKU. It also quickly grew...

She has a 2.5" lift, 35" tires and disco's. A somewhat ridiculous amount of lumens. And random odds and ends. Looking to add a stubby-ish bumper, winch and snorkel.

I'm really looking to get out and get the jeep muddy, and see what she's capable of.

One more pic for good measure.
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
Last edited by Mule9 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Re: New "Wait List" Member in Westford

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Sweet, welcome. Snorkel is risky, we encounter more trees then deep water, just something to keep in mind...
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Mule9

Unread post by Mule9 »

Thanks Randy or Carol or both !

And thanks for the tip, I have a cold air intake (bought for 16$ when it was supposed to have been 160$) which makes it even more vulnerable than the stock intake hence the idea..or go back to stock. Nice looking Jeep...mean flex ! Seeing as I'm in your backyard, let me know if you want to go wheeling. I'm itching to finally go again. There is the open event next Saturday, which I'm going to try and make it to.

B
RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

I’m Randy, Carol is ‘CarolRandy’ on here ;)
To be honest with you, you are better off with the stock intake, cold air sounds nicer but has more negitives than positives. I wanted one as my first mod but research talked me out of it. I would invest the money in skid plates, especially with a 4door, I didn’t heed that advice and it cost me an oil pan. You can get by with the factory ones but I would at least add an engine skid. You’ll hold your own with the 35’s, that seems to be the most popular size in the club. Everyone with a stock front bumper ends up denting in one of the ends and never remembers hitting anything, just keep that in mind if you don’t have the stubby by then.
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
Mule9

Unread post by Mule9 »

Thanks again Randy ! I think Monika is going to make me wait with the skids until I actual get out and tackle some trails. With that being said... let me know if you guys can bring along a not-yet member. Thanks ! BB
MDSRACING398
Jeep Year: 1985
Jeep Model: CJ7

Unread post by MDSRACING398 »

Welcome to the forum. I'll be volunteering at the open run leading trail runs. Should be a good day. Couple of the trails there are good to get your feet wet on.
Do it right the first time!
Second place is First Loser! Work Harder
Semper Fi
Mule9

Unread post by Mule9 »

Thanks Mark ! Sounds good.. hope to see you there ! B
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Dude :) This is a Jeep only club ! Whats with the Beemer Hiding the Jeep ? At least give me some specs on the adventures you do/done . My 74 CJ is in the avatar ! Try to convince Mama the skids will save yo big money ! Every model has its own set of bumps. The 4 door JKs are long and your set up is minimum for breakover angles . We will meet soon ! FjR68
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Welcome to the boards, some great advice above and Skids are important, especially that one for that rear canister on the JK's that I hear gets hit regularly. Get out and get her dirty, see what others have and see what you want to do for trails. That will really help your aim in what to do next.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
Richl35

Unread post by Richl35 »

Hello there from another waiting list member. The others are giving you good advice but I would add to that list a quality set of rock sliders. The undercarriage could use some skid plate protection but absolutely needs good rocker protection. If your running trails that are any more than a leisurely drive down some forest trails you need them.
Mule9

Unread post by Mule9 »

Frank- sweet looking CJ ! The beemer (Buell XB12X) covers up the sides of the Jeep that haven't been modified. Thanks for all the tips, I have the factory step bars, granting I would be sacrificing them to the trails gods; but they should offer some protection.. I would think ?

I haven't really taken the JKU for anything I would call off-roading. The YJ has been submerged to the hood and taken me through some pretty heavy power lines. Aside from that nothing too crazy, most of my off-roading happened on 2 wheels.