NOVAJeeper to Boston

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
BoomStickTMO
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2002
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

NOVAJeeper to Boston

Unread post by BoomStickTMO »

Hello all... My name is Kierran, but most who know me wheeling, know me as Boomer... or KC if you met me at work.

I was recently transferred from Dulles, VA to Boston (first week in town). I was very active with my previous Jeep Club, NOVAJeepers http://www.novajeepers.net/; and will continue to be when I can. I was the MAL for a few years, volunteered at most of our club events (Jeep Show and Shine was the big one, 140+ jeeps/car crush/teeter totter/RTI ramp), Annual Rausch Camping Trip (trail guide for Greens, Blues, and Blue/Black depending on what was needed), one of the group leads New to Jeeping Trail Rides and driver/spotter trainings (8-10 times; always a blast to take somebody out on their first trip or teach how to spot), and I can bring the hurt if you have a Chili Cook Off (??). I am big into Tread Lightly and nothing ticks me off more than red bull and Busch Light cans on the side of a trail.

Ok, now for the Jeeps. My wheeling claim to fame is this, [YouTube][/YouTube]. (Video just never does a trail justice!) Just a couple of ladies trying to "see some leaves."

I currently down to one 1 jeep... This was Sunday and that's not my truck, but those were my jeeps. Image. Still, 1 Jeep is better than no Jeeps. Here is my current money hole that I lovingly refer to as Bertha.
Image. She's fully armored, heavy as hell, and ready for the rocks. The PO did a lot of work on her, including reinforced welded cage, welded bumpers, & welded rock rails, while most of the stuff I've done was getting her back road worthy, ball joints, TRE's, wheels, radiator, steering box, various bushings, control arms, shocks, armor, fluid flushes ect... still waiting on lockers until I break something in the front axle (still have the 30 up front; though with chrome alloy shafts). She has about 181k on the clock. Running General Grabbers right now, though trying to put enough miles on them to warrant the move back to bf goodrich at's.

Other than the CJ 5 & 7 (in pieces) above, had a 2010 JKU Rubi (too afraid to throw her into stuff, so I sold her and bought a station wagon :music-rockout: ) and my great regret; the pic is from the same rock creek at Rausch Image (which I also sold; and will be forever sorry I did so). I have a soft spot for XJ's, love wrenching on them, and really miss the versatility of being able to carry all my tools and two dogs while wheeling.

In any case, I'm into wheeling, wrenching, and sharing a beer, story, trick, and some time wrenching. Living in Quincy for the next 6 months or so... then buying a house in the Boston area. Would love to hit some trails before winter!

Boomer
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: NOVAJeeper to Boston

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

Hahaha. Never know what you run into out on the trail. That was mighty nice of you to get them out. Welcome to the forum.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
BoomStickTMO

NOVAJeeper to Boston

ImNotCassie wrote:Hahaha. Never know what you run into out on the trail. That was mighty nice of you to get them out. Welcome to the forum.
. It is one on my favorite experiences ever... driving with about 4 inches of clearance off road is nuts.

In any case, here we are after about an hour and a half and back to asphalt. (Btw, I promised I would never post their faces, hence the blurring).Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Now thats quite an introduction :) Mine is a 74 CJ-5 she has acquired the name of "Mona" Just about everything other than the engine block has been changed , bought , made , welded and welded again. Shes the oldest running Jeep on the trails in our club. Glad to see ya on the forum and on the home page you can find how to join . I believe we are at cap for the season but they do have a Rausch trip next month. Hope to see you on a trail soon . FjR68
BoomStickTMO

Frank wrote:Now thats quite an introduction :) Mine is a 74 CJ-5 she has acquired the name of "Mona" Just about everything other than the engine block has been changed , bought , made , welded and welded again. Shes the oldest running Jeep on the trails in our club. Glad to see ya on the forum and on the home page you can find how to join . I believe we are at cap for the season but they do have a Rausch trip next month. Hope to see you on a trail soon . FjR68
I am a huge fan of the 5. Watching a cj5 with a solid spotter and a confident driver cut up a vertical rock hill through trees is an elegance a jku on 37's will never know.

With work, I don't think I'll be hitting Rausch again until after It thaws... and from Boston, that's a trek! Gotta think most going on that trip are rocking tow rigs?

Boomer

Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Over the years more have gone to trailers. Some still drive , heck some of them drove their rigs to Mohab on the club trip. This past weekend was my first time out since last year and that was tough enough. Waiting till it thaws ? That would suck ! Mona is stretched and 4 linked rear so she does get through some stuff. You are right about the front end being light , as you see in my avatar. You almost get used to it and with throttle control your able to still feel somewhat confident . Most of our members are up above Boston so the drive thing isnt important when its for Rausch. Me , Im in Ct. so I usually meet the convoy west of Hartford . See ya. FjR68
ImNotCassie
Jeep Year: 2011

Unread post by ImNotCassie »

I did Rausch last year for the first time and will be there again this year. Drove my DD stocker down, 31's and important underneath stuff was skid protected but that was about it. We did okay but if you look in the Events section (Rausch Creek Roll Call), you will see I was a little lighter on the way home.
-Cassandra
2011 Silver/Black JK

It's never a mannequin!!
https://talkingtruecrime.podbean.com
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

I drive mine down to Rausch two years in a row. First time was lifted on 31's, the second was lifted (differently) on 33's. Both times skidded. Drove it hard enough to have fun, less hard on the last day. Just need to know when to say, "nah, I'm good" and take the go-around.
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
BoomStickTMO

BlackNBlue-ISH wrote:I drive mine down to Rausch two years in a row. First time was lifted on 31's, the second was lifted (differently) on 33's. Both times skidded. Drove it hard enough to have fun, less hard on the last day. Just need to know when to say, "nah, I'm good" and take the go-around.

at Rausch, I always say i'm going to take it easy on the last day... and so almost universally, end up running 12 to 20 to 13. Image. Used to be able to then shoot up j, but it's one way now. Nice little circuit, starts with a little mud, moves to big boulders in an old creek bed, into a rock creek, then a small technical rock bed, into a few big obstacles/poser rocks, and then the last little bit is through a little creek with tight turns. Good few hours of wheeling without the need of a spotter (with some experience under the belt) and minimal risk of a big break, so long as you go easy on the skinny pedal.

Boomer

BoomStickTMO

NOVAJeeper to Boston

So, just thought I’d update... moved to Lynn Jan/feb of 2018. Ended up getting a 2014 jku rubi. Started nodding it a few weeks back. Image starting point.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bumper and belly armor order about 25
Days ago... hoping they arrive soon!

BoomStickTMO

RandyCarol
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2013

Unread post by RandyCarol »

Hope you waited for one of their ‘free shipping’ deals. ;)
Stubby antenna & Prorock 60’s
BoomStickTMO

RandyCarol wrote:Hope you waited for one of their ‘free shipping’ deals. ;)
oh yeah... just like everyone.;)

Hank
BSJ BOD Director at Large
Jeep Year: 2015

Unread post by Hank »

BoomStickTMO wrote: Ok, now for the Jeeps. My wheeling claim to fame is this, [YouTube][/YouTube]. (Video just never does a trail justice!) Just a couple of ladies trying to "see some leaves."
Ha! I've seen that video before, I don't remember where I saw the story, but I definitely remember the ladies out trying to "see some leaves"

Welcome!
-- Hank
BoomStickTMO