New TJ Guy

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
Trainorster
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2006
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

New TJ Guy

Unread post by Trainorster »

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/BGc4PJkhcDH/[/instagram]

Hi, everyone. I'm Mike, with a bone stock 06 TJ that is going to stay bone stock for a while longer, as my upgrade money keeps being spent on trips in the Jeep instead. It's my daily driver, and only vehicle, so I I'm only looking for light trails and beaches to spend my time.
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

Re: New TJ Guy

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Welcome, Mike.

Many of us highly recommend wheeling stock and learning to drive without all the extra goodies for a year or so, so you can fit right in. I did so for two years before doing any mods. It forced me to really work at choosing the best lines to handle the obstacles. And we do have many members who have brand new Jeeps, also serving as a daily driver. That is not unusual. The one concern I have for you is that we don't do beaches as a club. And if you are looking for trails that won't do ANY possible damage to your Jeep, well, we don't do that either. Don't get me wrong, many of our runs are "easy", but that is a relative term.

I hope you will give us a chance, though.
ASauer17
BSJ BOD President
Jeep Year: 1998

Unread post by ASauer17 »

Welcome! I will say wheeling a 100% STOCK TJ would be difficult! What size tires do you have- P215s?

The "stock" jeeps that joined us come with bigger tires as they are all JKs.

I've "wheeled" my TJ stock with 30s for a while before joining BSJ. It's capable on easy trails such as dirt roads, but definitely lack ground clearance.

What's on your list for upgrades? I was on 30s for maybe 5 years before lifting- and I was still able to do light wheeling. So, don't run away!!
98/99 TJ
2023 President
----------------------------------------
2021 Director of Events
2018 Secretary
2016 & 2017 President
2014 & 2015 Secretary
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Welcome! Glad to see another TJ joining the ranks, those JKs are starting to out number us.

All I would say you should really do is look into some more off road oriented tires possibly. You can certainly bring a stock jeep along quite a few of our trail runs and make it thru. I will say that some Skid plates might also help a bit but the stock shovel can handle a bit of beating and banging without completely failing.

Check out the Class 6 runs, and feel free to ask about runs you are curious on we are always happy to help with questions and thoughts you have.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
-HAZARD-
Jeep Year: 2004
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by -HAZARD- »

Welcome. Wow, where is that beautiful scenery from?

What a perfect backdrop to your Jeep photo.
2004 WJ Overland, 4.7L HO, NP242HD, 6.5" Long Arm, 32.9" ProComp MT2
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

It certainly isnt N.E. Welcome to the forum. Everything out numbers a CJ . Running the oldest Jeep in the club is a full time job . FjR68
BlackNBlue-ISH
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 2005

Unread post by BlackNBlue-ISH »

Welcome Mike! You'll find a slew of information on what to do, and what not to do here on the forum. I wheeled a stock TJ for the first year or so of owning one. You can fit larger tires on a stock suspension, 31's I believe, and traction gets you places. Line choice is another. I'm sure you know of the critical components that need protection under your jeep, but the key locations are steering box, oil pan and gas tank. If you protect these items right off the bat, you'll be able to keep that TJ relatively safe on the trails while remaining primarily stock. As you grow your skills and figure out the right lines for your jeep, you can upgrade as you see fit later on down the line.

Get a nice set of recovery gear, a winch, straps, tree savers, snatch block and a willingness to bounce down the trail, and you'll do just fine.

Again, welcome to the club!
2005 TJ, built and beat accordingly
MayhemJL
Jeep Year: 2018
Jeep Model: JL Wrangler

Unread post by MayhemJL »

Welcome Mike!! Glad I'm not alone in the stock TJ and daily driver department!! I was beginning to wonder. Haha. My build is going to start (very soon, I hope), but in the interim...it's always good to know someone in a similar situation. :D

Also, LOVE the photo!