New Member (wait list!)

New to BSJ? We're glad to have you! Drop a line and introduce yourself to everyone here!
** NO TRAIL NAMES **

Moderator: Kurt

Forum rules
Please post a pic of your jeep.

Tell us about the mods you have made.

Tell us about the mods you hope to make in the future.

How long have you been a member of Baystate?

How long have you been offroading?

Is this your first jeep?

AND REMEMBER ** NO TRAIL NAMES **
MattJ
BSJ 101 Planning Commitee
Jeep Year: 2016
Jeep Model: JK Wrangler

New Member (wait list!)

Unread post by MattJ »

Similar to MtMan (Brad) and one day later, I'm a new Jeep owner that just joined the wait list. Also similar to MtMan, I have spent months researching Jeeps and off-roading and am eager to learn. I started work on the design and build of my Jeep last summer, and am finally done with the project. Now I am eager to drive it somewhere without asphalt! A couple of notes regarding the photo below:

1) I am very involved in the Boy Scouts, so I created (as far as I know) the world's only Boy Scout-themed Jeep. I also searched far and wide to find rugged old-school components that matched the theme (no LED bars, for example).

2) Lou and his team at Elias 4WD did the entire build (except for the custom graphics) and did a great job. We discussed and debated every inch of the design and build, step by step. Too many details to list in my first post, but it's an AEV DualSport 3.5" lift package with AEV front/back bumpers and a Maximus 3 roof rack.

3) I installed a 3-person Tepui Tent on the roof rack, with the goal of spending some nights where minivans can't find me. I also have some steel jerry cans (made for water) with spigots that I plan to mount on my roof rack for extended trips.

4) I have a large first aid kit, back-up compressor/light/battery and tow straps/snatch block, but it sounds like I need a CB radio and fire extinguisher.

One question about the wait list - does this mean I would not be able to attend the Jeep 101 event this month unless I clear the list? Sounds like Baystate Jeepers is getting popular!

Thanks - I am looking forward to learning, and I know there is a LOT to learn!
IMG_0030.JPG
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) BEV: the BSA Expedition Vehicle
jquader
Jeep Year: 2008

Re: New Member (wait list!)

Unread post by jquader »

Hi Matt, PM me your email address and I'll send you the evite for the 101. Non-member can attend the 101 and we're giving preference to the wait list before we start promoting it more widely.

Hope to see you there.
Jason
BSJ Secretary 2019, 2013, 2012 - DOT 2015 - DOE 2017, 2016

I wonder what's on the other side.
RalphTomaccio
Jeep Year: 2012

Unread post by RalphTomaccio »

Welcome, Matt. Yes, as Jason said, please come to the 101. You shouldn't have much of a wait till you are able to join.

BTW, nice rig!
bdr529
Jeep Year: 2017

New Member (wait list)

Unread post by bdr529 »

Hi,
I can't post a picture as I just ordered my Jeep Wrangler this week and it's not even built yet! My first mod will be a set of side steps as they have just been ordered.

This is my first Jeep that I have owned, but in High School (many decades ago!) my Dad had a 1976 Jeep Wagoneer.
pirahnah3
BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1997
Jeep Model: TJ Wrangler

Unread post by pirahnah3 »

Welcome to the Forums Matt, the 101 is a great place to get the jeep some trail time and see what she can do.
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
RalphTomaccio

Re: New Member (wait list)

bdr529 wrote:Hi,
I can't post a picture as I just ordered my Jeep Wrangler this week and it's not even built yet! My first mod will be a set of side steps as they have just been ordered.
Just a suggestion. If you really want to wheel, don't buy the run of the mill side steps whose only purpose is as a step. Look into rock rails that will protect your sides. You'll learn why very quickly while in a rock garden or sliding down a hill and you hit a stump or rock. :naughty:
bdr529
Jeep Year: 2017

Unread post by bdr529 »

RalphTomaccio wrote:
Just a suggestion. If you really want to wheel, don't buy the run of the mill side steps whose only purpose is as a step. Look into rock rails that will protect your sides. You'll learn why very quickly while in a rock garden or sliding down a hill and you hit a stump or rock. :naughty:
Not to worry - I ordered Ace Rock Sliders! Thanks!

Rich
RalphTomaccio

bdr529 wrote:
RalphTomaccio wrote:
Not to worry - I ordered Ace Rock Sliders! Thanks!

Rich
:handgestures-thumbupright:
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

I want to know how in the heck are you done with your build ??????????????? Ive been at it for 15 yrs. and every time I walk past her I find something else to do or fix ! That was a joke right ? I like you already ! FjR68
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Hey Frank - good point, I know I'll never be "done"! I guess I was saying I'm VERY eager to actually drive this Jeep somewhere. The project started last August and she still has less than 200 miles on her (I call her "BEV", which stands for Boy Scout Expedition Vehicle" and her license plate means "On my honor", the first line of the oath).

But you are right - the project never really ends. I spent weeks building a hoist system to mount a Tepui roof top tent, and then more weeks building a custom mounting system to that the tent can attach so the roof rack in multiple configurations. Latest project is making custom spigots for two 5-gallon jerry cans that are made to carry water (no plastic taste). That was another tough project - not easy to drill stainless steel!

I really NEED to get outside and get BEV muddy. Otherwise I will just keep thinking of more projects to add!
BEV.jpg
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Jerry Cans (2).jpg
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Nice work on those. Only question I would have is do they have a vent on them to make pouring a lot easier? Or are those some type of venting spiggot?
'97 thats been chopped up and put back together, and ready to take on the trails.
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Yes - vents are on the top of the cans. I plan to attach them to the roof rack using Rhino Rack brackets that are made for jerry cans. The roof rack on BEV is nearly seven feet off the ground and 5 gallons of water weighs 40 pounds. I guess it will be a Crossfit workout getting them on and off when full . . .
Jerry Can Vents.jpg
___=_=_=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-
pirahnah3
BSJ Member

Yeah youll get a good workout lol add the weight of the cans and such and its closer to 50 pounds each.
Frank
Frankie BSJ Member
Jeep Year: 1974
Jeep Model: CJ5

Unread post by Frank »

Ive always said we dont need engineers , Farmers and Jeep guys can fix anything ! FjR68